6.28.2010

Trader Joe's French Truffles

Wiki describes a European Truffle as being made with syrup and a base of cocoa powder, milk solids, fats and other such ingredients to create an oil-in-water-type of emulsion...not quite the easiest way to explain it but commercially, it is better known as a chocolate ganache rolled in cocoa powder.

Now when I have a craving (and we're talking about the craving which involves serious amounts of fat here), I can't help but salivate over these smooth, melt-in-your-mouth, ebony nuggets. If ever chocolate butter existed, these would be a spot-on representation of how rich and decadent it would feel in the mouth. Slightly grainy from the ample dusting of very good cocoa powder, I cannot help but surrender to its velvety core of mildly bitter-sweet ganache when it en-robes my tongue in chocolate perfection. Ah... joy.

For the price of under $3.00 per box of 250gms, which I would guess is about 20 or so truffles, who could not afford to gift themselves with these? I mean, really... Its Christmas in a box, a festive red box enclosing a golden foil treasure trove. And as the box says: the right way to enjoy them is to leave them in room temperature for about an hour or so, unless you probably live in the desert or a sub-tropical climate then I would not recommend doing so. But, the again, I also would not think Trader Joe's existed in the middle of the Sahara... [reaching for another truffle].

No comments:

Post a Comment