6.23.2010

Ghirardelli Intense Dark Midnight Reverie 86% Cacao

Why begin with a high cocoa percentage as a first black chocolate review?
Well, besides being utterly enjoyable, this small piece of square delight is a constant presence on my bedside table, so let's start here.

I don't really give much importance to the cocoa percentage as I believe it doesn't mean the lower the percent of cocoa the less appealing it would be. I do however think that anything less than 60% cocoa is not what I would personally prefer. Maybe it's the sweetness and the texture that doesn't appeal much to me. And in the recent years I have lost a bit of interest and craving for milk chocolates, save for a hand-few which I indulge in, but very sparsely over a years time.

Okay, so this easy to find black chocolate is hands-down, one of my favorites. Very affordable and easily found in major retail chains. They are often sold in bars or in 4.12 oz gift packs (which I often purchase) for about $3-4.00 and are individually wrapped so the chocolate remains fresh. How convenient is that?

Opening the small black square foil would reveal a shiny dark tile with the clean embossed Ghirardelli logo. The color is deep and rich, like the perfect color of an expensive brown leather couch and surface sheen is quite noticeable. The chocolate smell is very pronounced, you can smell the roasted cocoa aroma and hints of coffee. Break of a piece and it snaps cleanly off with very minimal or sometimes no splintering at all. Mouth-feel is smooth and fine and doesn't melt to cover the surface of the tongue but lingers there to release a deep fruity, soft-tangy like taste. Although I detect no sweetness, the taste is subliminal and pleasantly bitter like a mild shot of espresso. And the finish lingers with an "enchanting" aftertaste. The size of each square, which I can savor in 5 to 6 bites is just perfect to satisfy my cocoa-rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment